We’ve had lots of incredible events happen this year at Oglethorpe Avenue Elementary including:
- We had 4 AMAZING author visits with Caleb Zane Huett, Abby Hanlon, Joey Weiser and with OAES parents Bart King and Jacob Wenzka;
- 2 book fairs;
- 2 Reading Rock Star field trips;
- Summer Reading Rock Star Celebration;
- Winter Reading Rock Star Celebration;
- 9 WOWs where Reading Rock Stars were celebrated!
- The Books for Keeps program, which distributed 12 free books to all students K-5!
- Mr. Evan from Athens Clarke County Library shared info with all students PK-2 about our summer reading program. Ms. Sugi shared the same info with everyone else.
- We took part in MakerFest!
- Ms. Sugi created Summer Reading Lists for each grade level!
- Intern Hannah labeled fiction books according to genre
- Ms. Sugi delivered lessons to all classes promoting love of reading, media literacy and staying safe online;
- We continued our focus on developing a culturally relevant reading collection- the Black Panther series was a huge hit!
- The Media Committee developed guidelines for technology use;
- We packed (and are still packing) the library in prep for the move to the new school;
- Mr. Perez and Ms. Sugi organized the tech distribution and collection in the fall and spring.
None of this would have been possible without the help of Mr. Perez, interns Melissa Serro, Hannah Sikes, Emily Walls, Max Rabb, and Dansbie Charles, as well as our amazing parent volunteers and teaching staff. Thanks for a great year!