Last week Mr. Evan came to visit from the Athens- Clarke County Library to tell us about the summer reading program. Kickoff is Saturday, May 18th at 10 a.m. at the Athens-Clarke County Library. More information about the summer reading program and how to be a SUMMER READING ROCK STAR can be found here, but for now check out the cuteness!
This week we sent home lists of book suggestions. They can be found below, along with tips for how you can be a SUMMER READING ROCK STAR!
2019 SUMMER READING SUGGESTIONS:
- Entering Pre-K/ K 2019
- Entering 1st/2nd grade 2019
- Entering 3rd/4th grade 2019
- Entering 5th/6th grade 2019
So you want to be a reading rock star. This is how…
1. Read. Read on your own. Read with a friend. Have someone read to you. Any reading counts!
2. Track your reading. This could be on a log for the Athens Clarke County Library (pick one up at the library on Baxter Street). You can use one of our logs, or you can write them down on a sheet of paper.
3. Remember that you have to read at least 15 hours or 30 books but that reading 25 hours or 50 books is the best because WE WANT TO WIN THE READING TROPHY!
4. Turn in your log or certificate of reading from Athens Clarke County Library to Mrs. Sugiuchi in August. Then you will be invited to our ice cream social!
Remember: if you read 30 books or 15 hours, you will be invited to a Special Reading Rock Stars Party in August. If you read 50 books or 25 hours, you can help OAES win the reading trophy. We only need 70 students to make this happen. Be ONE OF THESE STUDENTS!!! Kick off your summer reading with a party at the ACC Library on Baxter Street on May 18th.
KICK OFF YOUR SUMMER READING WITH FAMILY FUN DAY…
Which happens this Saturday, May 18th from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. when the Summer Reading Program officially begins! Explore outer space and a Universe of Stories with the Library! Pick up your reading log and join us for a host of fantastic family activities at our fabulous summer kick-off! The first 500 children to sign up will receive a free Universe of Stories tote bag.
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Sam’s Path Petting Zoo/Space Crafts, Games & Activities/Astronaut Photo Booth/Virtual Reality Station/Music with Maggie Hunter.
12:00 p.m. – Puppet Show: Master Puppeteer David Stephens of All Hands Productions: The Pied Picker Puppet Show! For children of all ages. In Multipurpose Rooms.
(Find more information about their program here.)
Last week we also celebrated our Reading Rock Stars!
Last week, we celebrated our reading rock stars with grade level parties. We had nearly 200 students who had turned in 6 or more reading logs throughout the school. So proud of all of our wildcat readers! We were having SO MUCH FUN we didn’t take many pictures….but enjoy these!